Sunday 23 October 2011

Speech Delay

When Michael was about 18 months, was about when we first realised that he was way behind, and we needed help.  At this time, the most obvious lack was with his speech, so that's where we started.  We went to the GP, who sent us to the Paediatrician, who sent us to the Speech Pathologist.  We were a bit short of funds at this time, so we were relying on the public system.  There was a few months wait to get into the Speech Pathologist, so it must have been close to his 2nd birthday when we were finally seen.

The first thing the speechie did (or was it the paediatrician? can't remember now) was send him to get his hearing checked.  Most easily assessed reason for speech delay.  This took two visits.  He must have been around three, because I remember they just put him down for the "co-operative" hearing test, without even bothering to ask us what would be best!  Needless to say, he didn't co-operate, which necessitated the making of another appointment to give him the very young, unable to co-operate test.  Through this they found that his ears could hear fine, although there may have been some sensitivity to the high and low frequencies.  This, we were to discover, was a first indication of sensory issues.

The result of the hearing test allowed us to continue onto the speech pathologist, who at this time, officially diagnosed him with speech delay.  The first of many diagnosis.  As, at this time, there was quite a wait for regular sessions with a speech pathologist, I was offered a course called "It Takes Two Too Talk".  This was basically a course for the parents, to teach them how to teach their children.  I did find this very useful, and used a lot of it to help my son.  Although now, the main thing I remember, is that I needed to lower my own level of speech, to just above his, to help him advance.  That is, when he wasn't speaking, I say one word.  When he was saying one word, I say two.  When he is saying two words, I speak in short sentences. When he has short sentences, I say two sentences.  This did work, and although it was slow, I did see some progress.  I have found the principal of teaching him just above his level to be useful in many other areas of his life and learning as well.  I will always appreciate attending that course.

1 comment:

  1. Now I have to say thank you. I think that approach to teaching may well be very helpful here. I'll give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete